Monday, August 12, 2013

Same Sex Marriage Visas for USA

If you live in Las Vegas or Henderson, Nevada you may have questions concerning same sex marriage visas for USA application of a non-citizen?

James M Davis Law Office
Same Sex Marriage Know Your Rights

Same sex marriage is not legal

in the state of Nevada

Many LGBT couples residing in Nevada find themselves facing those questions since the Supreme Court overturned section 3 of the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act in June of this year.

Secretary of State, John Kerry just announced the U.S. Department is considering visa applications from same sex marriage couples legally married. Spouses of U.S. citizens and Non-U.S. citizens application for visa will be treated the same as heterosexual married couples. If a person is in a country that doesn’t recognize same sex marriage, their visa application will still be treated equally at all 222 visa-processing centers around the world.

John Kerry said, "Effective immediately, when same-sex spouses apply for a visa, the Department of State will consider that application in the same manner that it considers the application of opposite-sex spouses," Kerry said.

"As long as a marriage has been performed in a jurisdiction that recognizes it, so that it is legal, then that marriage is valid under U.S. immigration laws and every married couple will be treated exactly the same," he said.

If you are legally married in one of the thirteen states that allow same sex marriage your spouses’ visa application will be treated as any other married couple. Those states include: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Main, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, District of Columbia and five Native American Tribes.

Same sex Marriage Visas for USA Questions

  •  But what if I live in a state like Nevada that does not allow same sex marriage?
  • What if I visit another state and get married?
  • What if my partner is an undocumented American?
  • Do my partner and I qualify to file a visa application?

Do you have questions concerning DOMA

Get the right answers to your legal questions concerning same-sex marriage, LGBT Wills & Trusts, Nevada Domestic Partnerships and DOMA. Email me with your questions or please call 702-478-8877 to speak with a Las Vegas Lawyer at James M. Davis Law Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment